Often times I need to place a way to handle short links on sites that manage. Many of the ones out there have many features I do not need and or require significant effort to implement. I needed something quick and simple and could not find one that I liked. I decided to write one.
- shortlinks are stored in MyQL database
- Admin Panel interface
- create a log file of all requests handled ( 404 errors)
This PHP-based script handles shortlinks for websites based on data placed on a mySQL database. It also has a way to manage (add, change, delete) entries via a simple admin page.
It was important to me that the program fit within an existing site with minimal impact ( thus the need to only modify .htaccess and include 4 files. The app handles 404 requests and records to a log file so I can check what is being requested
Sample demo site: https://404handlerdemo.jorgep.com/
- Access to a MySQL database server ( Script will create the table if not already there, but needs the DB credentials )
- php v5.7 or better.
404handler.php // core front-end shortlink handler
404appLanding.html // landing page when a shortlink is not found. ( can be modified in 404appConfigPROD.php file)
404appConfigPROD.php // configuration file (database creds and other variables)
404appFunctions.php // common PHP functions files
404appAdmin.php // admin interface to add/edit/delete db records
Additional supporting (not needed for operatios) …. )
read.md // Readme file
404appConfig-SAMPLE.php // SAMPLE configuration file
404appSample-htaccess.txt // SAMPLE .htaccess file
- download and unzip the latest 404appHandler.zip to a local directory
- copy or rename 404appConfigSAMPLE.php to 404appConfigPROD.php
- Modify setting 404appConfigPROD.php to correct database credentials ( there are other parameters there as well but defaults will work well.)
- move the core files to your webserver root directory (via upload pannel or FTP )
- Modify .htaccess on root directory file to include the follwing 2 lines:
RewriteEngine On ErrorDocument 404 /404handler.php