ChatGPT is a language model developed by OpenAI that allows you to have human-like conversations with a chatbot. you can access the web-based app chatbot visiting chat.openai.com and creating an OpenAI account. The website is powered by a large language model called Generative Pre-trained Transformer (GPT). GPT is powered by a deep neural network (DNN) that has been trained on a massive amount of data to generate human-like text based on prompts from users. When you chat with a GPT chatbot, it tries to understand your messages and respond to you intelligently.
There are many AI chatbots that are powered by a different backends (large language models) which like GPT are trained on different sets of data and adjusted variables/parameters. Some are very specialized, others are more generic. Character and Tune can be adjusted based on operational settings.
Some key capabilities of GPT chatbots include:
- Natural language processing to comprehend what you typed
- Contextual awareness to relate to previous messages
- Text generation to produce relevant and grammatically correct responses
- Ability to play games, answer questions, and have nuanced conversations
GPT chatbots have impressive language abilities. However, they don’t have true understanding or reasoning skills. They rely on identifying statistical patterns in massive training data rather than real-world knowledge.
Here are some alternatives to ChatGPT that you can consider:
- Google Bard: This AI chatbot is powered by LaMDA (Language Model for Dialogue Applications) and can help you write code, generate stories, look up information, and more. It can even analyze an image you send it .
- Claude: is another AI assistant from Anthropic, which is based on the Constitutional AI architecture, designed to be sensitive, specific, and socially responsible. Claude opts for techniques like preference learning and transparency over pure language mastery. The goal is prosocial conversations grounded in reality.
- Bing Chat: This AI-powered web chat for work allows organizations to unlock the benefits of generative AI today, such as better answers, greater efficiency, and new ways to be creative. It combines the generative AI capabilities of Bing Chat with commercial data protection . ( there is also an enterprise version of this one, Bing Chat Enterprise.
- Perplexity.AI – based on OpenAI GPT-3 and GPT-4, Perplexity AI is a free AI chatbot that is connected to the internet, provides sources, and has a very enjoyable UI.
- Jasper Chat: This AI chatbot is based on the GPT-3.5 architecture and can generate human-like text. Summarizes texts and generate paragraphs and product descriptions | Checks for plagiarism and grammar.
- ChatSonic: This AI chatbot has been built on top of ChatGPT and hence, inherits its vast potential. However, this AI chatbot comes backed by more features and broader knowledge as it can access the Internet, which is something the former still can’t do .
- HuggingChat: This AI chatbot is based on the GPT-2 architecture and can generate human-like text .
- Open Assistant.io: This AI chatbot is based on the GPT-3 architecture and can generate human-like text .
- GPT4ALL: This free open source AI chatbot is based on the GPT architecture. A free-to-use, locally running, privacy-aware chatbot. No GPU or internet required.
- Rytr: This AI writing assistant can help you generate content for your blog, social media, and more.
- YouChat AI: YouChat is an AI chat search tool developed by You.com. It offers a conversational and interactive search experience, providing users with customized recommendations and real-time data. With features like content generation, YouChat aims to enhance the search experience and assist users in finding the information they need.
- Writecream: This AI chatbot can help you generate content for your blog, social media, and more.
Other classes ( I expect these to change significantly over the next few months, as they have VERY significant user base and integration woth LLM will be an ideal combination of technologies. – The question is who / how will the cost of running these queries be paid for!
- Alexa is Amazon’s popular virtual assistant. You can chat with Alexa using Amazon Echo smart speakers or other Alexa-enabled devices. Alexa isn’t as advanced at text conversations as GPT chatbots. But she excels at understanding voice commands and controlling smart home devices.
- Apple’s Siri is another widely used AI assistant. She powers voice interactions on iOS and supports a range of tasks from getting directions to setting reminders. Like Alexa, Siri struggles with free-form text conversations but handles structured voice requests well
The Future of AI Assistants
As this list highlights, GPT chat represents one approach to building AI assistants focused on mastery of language and conversation. Going forward, the expectation is to continued progress in the safe, specific, and socially beneficial AI assistants that agents will combine language skills with robust alignment techniques.
Microsoft is releasing its own set of AI assistants under the brand name: Microsoft Copilot to incorporate into its platform and across applications — can’t wait for that one!