On February 10, 2021, Microsoft reminded everyone that Microsoft Edge Legacy web browser (UWP-based) present on Windows 10 will end on March 9, 2021 (as expected) but it added that it will be automatically removed from your system with the April 13, 2021 Update Tuesday patch.
The new standard, released back in January 2020, is Microsoft Edge is based on Chromium.
What was Microsoft Edge Legacy?
Microsoft Edge Legacy was the old or classic version of Microsoft Edge browser which came preinstalled or bundled with Windows 10 operating system when first version of Windows 10 was released. It was basically an UWP based app (also known as metro, modern or store app) which was codenamed as “Spartan”. It featured the new Chakra and EdgeHTML web rendering engines . (Internet Explorer used the Trident (also known as MSHTML) proprietary engine.
What about Internet Explorer?
Support for older versions of Internet Explorer ended
Support ended 1/12/16 for Internet Explorer (IE) 10 and older. Security updates, compatibility fixes, and technical support continues for IE 11 on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
Microsoft announced it is ending support of the 25-year-old Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser on August 17, 2021.
In addition Microsoft explained that all remaining Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support IE 11 starting August 17, 2021.
Key Dates SUMMARY:
- November 30, 2020: Microsoft Teams web app stopped supporting Internet Explorer 11, which could impact productivity for your business.
- March 9, 2021: Microsoft Edge Legacy will no longer be supported nor receive security updates. Thanks
- April 13, 2021: Microsoft Edge Legacy to be removed Automatically from Windows 10 with Tuesday patch release
- August 17, 2021: Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer be supported on Internet Explorer 11.
What does this mean?
There are no options. You must be able to support your applications with the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based).
- Microsoft no longer provides security updates or technical support for old versions of Internet Explorer.
- This means that Microsoft Edge Legacy will not receive security updates after that date
- With Internet Explorer disabled , IE Mode will not work.
- New Microsoft Edge to replace Microsoft Edge Legacy with April’s Windows 10 Update Tuesday release – Microsoft Tech Community
- Microsoft 365 apps say farewell to Internet Explorer 11 and Windows 10 sunsets Microsoft Edge Legacy – Microsoft Tech Community
- Microsoft apps and services to end support for Internet Explorer 11 – Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Docs
- Support for Microsoft Edge Legacy
- Legacy Microsoft Edge to Remove Automatically from Windows 10 in April 2021 – AskVG