This article is part of the Digital Art Series
Digital art is very popular right now, but what if you want to physically print a piece of art for display on you office, living room, bedroom, kitchen or bathroom?
Artists can create digital art using digital technology, such as a computer or tablet and includes a wide range of mediums, including digital painting, digital sculpture, and digital animation. Artists use a variety of software, such as Photoshop, Procreate, and Blender, to create digital art.
There is plenty of digital art available in marketplaces online ( ETSY, Creative Art, and many others) where you can find your taste and style at very affordable prices. Printing digital art is a great way to decorate and show your style and for others to enjoy.
Digital print services have made it easier than ever to turn your digital art into physical prints. Whether you’re an artist looking to sell your work, or a collector looking to add to your collection, digital printing is a great option. In this post, we’ll go over the steps you need to take to use digital print services to print your digital art.
We are assuming you have a created or purchase a digital art and have a file on hand! ( if you do not please read Where to get a Digital Art blog post
Steps to Print Digital Art
- Prepare the file
NOTE: if you purchase something, it is highly likely that the product you have downloaded already has been prepared for you and fits the size you want print the art at. For more information on this topic, please read blog post: Preparing to Print Digital Art
The first step is to prepare your digital art file for printing. This means making sure that your file is the right size and resolution for printing. Most digital print services will have guidelines on their website for file size and resolution, so be sure to check those before uploading your file.
- Choose a print service
Next, you’ll need to choose a digital print service. There are many different print services available, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
When choosing a print service, it is always good to consider where they actually print the art. In-country printing means that the printing facility is located within the country, which can reduce the cost of shipping and also ensure faster delivery times. Please note that the availability of in-country printing may vary depending on the specific country and the provider. It’s always recommended to check with the provider to confirm if they offer in-country printing and shipping in your specific location.
- Select your materials and size
Once you’ve chosen a print service, you’ll need to select the materials you want your print to be printed on. This includes the type of paper, canvas or metal, the finish (glossy or matte), and the size of the print.
- Place your order
Once you’ve selected your materials, you can place your order.
Most digital print services will allow you to choose how many prints you want and offer a variety of shipping options. Make sure to double-check your order before submitting it, to make sure everything is correct.
- Wait for your print to arrive
This is probably the most painful part of the process. After you’ve placed your order, you’ll need to wait for your print to arrive. This can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the print service, options and shipping options you’ve chosen.
Where can I print my digital art?
There are many digital print services available worldwide and choosing one will depending on your specific need and requirement for the art piece. Having said this, I have found that for most of my needs the following well-known providers. There is always, CVS Photo, Walmart, Walgreens, Office Depot and FedEx print services, but for larger or more quality I would look at:
- easycanvasprints.com – Canvas Prints – Photos to Canvas
- Costco Photo Center – Wall Art Décor & Art Prints
- Shutterfly – Wall Art | Metal & Canvas Prints – They offer a variety of printing options, including photo prints, canvas prints, and metal prints. They also have a user-friendly website and a wide variety of framing and matting options.
- GotPrint.com – Custom Wall Art & Prints
- UPrinting.com – Wall Graphics
- Nations Photo Lab – Photo Wall Decor & Wall Art
- Mpix™ Photo Lab
- CanvasDiscount – Wall Decor
- Printkeg The company can create anything from posters to watercolor prints. In fact, Printkeg designed its entire company philosophy and atmosphere to serve artists, not just photographers.
- VistaPrint – Custom Wall Art, Personalized Wall Art & Décor
- WhiteWall is a print lab that is sophisticated, simple, and incredibly elegant. They are based in Germany and specialize in high-quality photo prints and photo gifts. The quality of the printing is outstanding and offers superb color reproduction. In fact, as a winner of the TIPA World Awards in 2013, 2017, 2020, and 2021, WhiteWall prints and ships worldwide .
- Photobox UK – Wall Art | Prints & Canvas They are based in the UK and offer a wide range of printing options, including photo prints, photo gifts, and photo books and framing and matting options.
- Pixa Prints – Personalised Canvas Printing
- Canvaspop – Canvas Prints
You can view my full list of providers in this blog post