Backups should be top of mind for everyone, but it is especially critical when you upgrade your OS.
Creating a full-image backup is – in my opinion – a must have before begining the upgrade process..
There are a number of free drive backup software (imaging, cloning) that can be created to a second hard drive, internal or external, DVD’s, or BluRay disks. Currently I am using Paragon and CloneZilla but a list of others follow:
- Paragon Image Backup & Recovery 2012 (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
- Acronis True Image For WD (reduced, free version for WD drives – cloning and imaging)
- Clonezilla & Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
- Macrium Reflect (Free)
- O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
- Easeus Todo Backup
- ODIN (open-source)
- Partition Saving
- Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
- Drive Image XML
- PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
Hope this helps!
Let me know if you know of any others!